Monday, May 17, 2010

Yarmouth PD 5K = PR



Well if I can do everything wrong before a race and obtain a PR, Maybe I should start doing everything right and see what happens? Yesterday I ran the 3rd annual Yarmouth Police Department 5K in South Yarmouth and and what do you know,I get a PR for the 5K distance that was previously held since 2006 at the Rhody 5K. Sheila, Anna, and I made the 35 minute ride to the race with me which was starting at 11 am. We got there early so I had more than enough time to sign up and get in some good pre race workouts. Not running a lot of races on Cape Cod I dont reconize everyone so I dont know who is around my speed when I am scoping out the competetion. The thing is people are probalby saying the same thing about me. The last week I got in some good miles, maybe 25-30 (not keeping track) but I did push Anna in the baby stroller at least 3x and did one 8.5 mile run with her. So as everyone lined up at the start I could see the faster guys. I had no idea what to expect except I was going to go out and see what I could do. I knew the cards werent in my favor since I had a few beers the night before, ate a huge onion, pepper, and sausage calzone, and had a huge muffin for breakfast. So when the gun went off I just decided to go with my body. Well that was a good choice. From the start I was locked in a secure 5th. and never held anything less. There were over 325 finishers. Sheila videod the start from about a quarter mile out and between me being at 5th and the guy at 6th there was already a good gap. At about 1 mile I moved into 4th and I'd say maybe at 1 1/4 I moved into 3rd. I was feeling good and clocked a 5:33 first mile. (never saw mile 2) Once I was in third my goal was to keep it. I knew I'd never catch the guy in 2nd unless he folded and he didnt. well at about 1 3/4 the guy I passed to get third surged by me and pulled me 40 feet ahead of me. I was shocked at the surge but couldnt keep up with him. So now I was in 4th again. I periodically looked at my watch and since I knew I was feeling great I thought a PR was possible. However, I didnt want to overdo it to soon so I just kept my pace. As I got to about I'd say 2 1/2 I could see the guy who surged by me to get third was fading so with a long straight stretch to the finish I just let it rip. I passed the guy with maybe a 1/4 mile left and I felt like I was pulling away but that guy and the guy in 5th were hot on my heals. I think havinbg those two guys pushing me def. helped keep me pushing hard. as I neared the finsih I could see the clock and knew I was gonna get a PR. 4 years older and I got a new PR. I was thrilled. Sheila was screaming at me near the finsh saying," This is what we train for" Well it helped motivate me but Train? I dont do that. So when I crossed the line I was spent and almost got run over by the next to guys who wer eonly 3 and 4 seconds behind me. It felt awesome!!! It really motivated me to start doing some serious training. I won the Law enforcement division and won a trophy and also was the 1st 30-39 and got a nice medal!!! It was sweet. Afterwards Sheila and Anna and I knocked off another MA lighthouse and then had dinner at our neighbors!!! It was a great day!!!! Next up is a busy weekend!! elks 5K thursday, Northfield Mnt on Sat and the Billygoat on Sunday!!! I'll be spent come Monday but what else would I rather be doing???????????? Anna took the Picture!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment