Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Elks,Northfield Mnt,& Billygoat




What a last few days its been. All Go-No Quits. It all started last wed night when I was running around the house getting all my stuff packed for some of the first vaca days I've taken since last year. Then it was off to bed cause I was working a 5 am to 13:30 shift on Thursday and once I got home from work Sheila, Anna, and I split the Cape for Wmass. We planned our trip home and visiting family and friends around three races. The planning around races was more me than her but it all worked out quite well. The three races would be the weekly EORC 5K elks in Holyoke, The USTAF Northfield Mountain Race, and the 32nd Annual Billygoat orienteering race held at Mt Tom in Holyoke MA.



1st: Elks 5K. It was one of the three age graded races held this year and than was unbeknownst to me before arrival. I was hoping to win it but with the age graded thing going on I knew I was out. However, I still wanted to see if I could do a sub 18 and have it be 2 sub 18's in less than 5 days. That went right out the window at the start when I tried to run with Jake Lukasiweicz. He went out like a light and I was silly to even try to stick with him. He always starts fast and my problem is I dont know enough not to do it as well. We ended up running a 5:15 first mile and once I saw that I knew I was gonna be spent. Not to mention it was hot and humid so at about 1/2 way I died. I ended up running a 19:00 flat. I was 5th overall in a record crowd of 134 runners. Age graded my place was 18th I think. Sheila also ran and it was her first race since having Anna. She ran 22 and change and looked and felt great. She also agreed it was humid. My Mom also ran and she set a age group record for age 61 females. She is a force to be reckon with on the veterens female side. I gotta get her doing some of the bigger races and see how she does. Anna wanted to run but insted was held by DziaDziu aka Grandpa. She was a good little girl for him excpet she fussed only once. He was happier than cat holding her.



Northfield: This worked out good because I could run the race and then after Sheila and I could shoot up to Keene to viist her sister. The race had record attendance and I saw a lot of familar faces. It was nice catching up with everyone. Everyone also liked seeing Anna. Sheila, Anna, and my aunt (my moms sister) watched me, my dad and my mom run. We all did well. I just missed breaking 40 minutes on the 5.25 course. I was happy but again I think I went out a little to fast. I passed 8 people on the downhill and was eying Ken Clark who was right ahead of me but he had just enough distance that I couldnt make up and catch him. I was pleased, I would have liked to have run about 2 minutes faster but ahh. What ya gonna do? Take what you get. I dont do all that much hill training here in wellfleet.



Lastly I am an official BillyGoat!!! This was the first time I ran the Billygoat and it was on my home turf. Well turf that I am very familar with. Without going into many details since I have to work in like 75 minutes. I was very pleased with my performance. I love Orienteering and think its something I want to get Anna into at a young age. I ran the Goat in 2:16 and change. The course was brutal. Very steep and rocky terrian and it brought you all over Mt Tom, from Mt. Nonotuck to the old ski slopes. There were 24 contols, with one skip and one fork. It was interesting seeing what controls people skipped. I was in a group of about 6 most of the time. It was def. physically demanding. My legs are still sore today. I took one good fall and slammed my right knee into a rock. Its black and blue. I also slid down one hill about 30 feet on my butt. It was fun!!! I attached map so those famialr with the area can get an idea of the area covered.

Next up? More than likely going to continue the Fathers Day tradition of running Mt Greylock. Have to introduce Anna to that also place!!! Between now and then probably just training. No Races cause I'll be working lots with some overtime. One goal will be to do my 3 hours a week of paid exercise time so it helps Sheila when I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment